➤ SHOPPING HOW-TO SHOPPING HOW-TO
Published: 29 December 2016 29 December 2016
Developed for luxury hotels, the mattress pad has become a must-have for good bedding in the last few years. Contrary to popular belief, mattress pads do not just compensate for any faults or damage to the mattress. In fact, they have many advantages to offer, such as providing real well-being to sleepers and increasing sleep hygiene. These are the reasons why many hosts praise it in their rentals as it offers travellers the same comfort as a night in a big hotel. But how to choose a mattress pad? What criteria should you consider when buying one? A Guide…
The advantages of a mattress pad in your rental
- A mattress pad makes it possible to prolong the life of a mattress which has started showing signs of weakness without altering its main qualities.
- It also prolongs the life of the mattress since the mattress itself will no longer be in direct contact with moisture from night sweat.
- It compensates for mattresses that are deemed too hard by adding a flexible, supple layer.
- It can improve sleep comfort by following the curves of the body and allowing for better weight distribution.
- It provides enveloping warmth when the nights are cold.
- Mattress pads also offer better hygiene because they are easily cleaned in large capacity washing machines or dry cleaners.
- For an investment well below that of a mattress, the lifetime of a mattress pad is quite good in the context of a rental. When made of natural fibres, they last for 7 to 10 years versus the 4 to 6 years for a synthetic fibre mattress pad.
Confort Hôtel Symphonie mattress pad via La Compagnie du Blanc
Criteria for choosing a mattress pad
Size: Simply adapt the size of the mattress pad to the mattress.
Thickness: Opt for a thickness of 5 cm; thin enough for the mattress to be easily handled and thick enough to prevent the body from sinking into it.
Filling: While natural materials provide more comfort, synthetics ones offer freshness in summer.
Treatments: The mattress pad is an easy to maintain product, but it is recommended to use an anti-mite and antibacterial treatment.
What filling should you use for a mattress pad?
Just like with mattresses, there are several types of filling available for mattress pads. Natural lining (feathers, silk or down) provides additional warmth as well as a soft welcome. However, natural filling is not advisable for people suffering from allergies related to dust mites, which does not make it the best candidate for rentals. Synthetic mattress pads (latex, foam) are cheaper and still they offer softness while retaining firmness. However, it does retain less heat on winter nights.
- Duck or goose feather mattress pad: Soft and enveloping, it retains warmth and comforts the body.
- Cotton mattress pad: Provides warmth in winter and coolness in summer.
- Bamboo mattress pad: Natural and ecological, its material retains the freshness for summer nights.
- Latex mattress pad: Firm in depth, it ensures an optimal maintenance of the back and lumbar thanks to its surface softness.
- Memory overlay mattress: It conforms to the shape of the body, which reduces muscular tension. It is therefore recommended for sleepers with back problems or blood circulation.
- Thermal mattress pad: Electrically operated, it ensures warm nights in winter and cool ones in the summer.