Ingenious DIY ideas
Here’s an idea. What if you decorated your rental’s white dishware? It’s not only possible, but easy thanks to specialized ceramic/porcelain paints and felt pens that you can pick up in any crafts store. It’s now affordable to personalize your mugs, cups, plates etc. and it’s a great and original way to surprize and seduce your guests! So go ahead, create unique pieces with words and small drawings or doodles. Bust most importantly, make this DIY project as fun as possible. Here’s how to easily customize mugs and other dishware on a small budget…
The DIY steps
1. The first thing to do is to think about the words and patterns that you want to draw onto your dishware. If necessary, do a test run on a scrap sheet of paper.
2. Next, prepare the dishware by degreasing it using a cloth or dishtowel and some rubbing alcohol. This removes hand fingerprints or grease traces and allows the paint or marker to bind to the piece.
3. If you are using a felt marker, remember to shake it well before use so that the tip fills with paint.
4. It’s time to get started and let your creativity out! If you make a mistake, don’t panic. You can erase the mistake by using a slightly moistened sponge or some alcohol-soaked cotton wool. To erase or fix smaller details, use a cotton bud instead of the cotton wool. If the paint has already begun to dry, scrub it with the scouring side of a sponge.
5. Allow your creation to dry for several hours minimum. In fact, waiting 24hrs is usually recommended.
6. Now it’s time to move on to the final step which is: cooking. Do not preheat the oven, place dishes directly in and heat for 30 minutes at 160 degrees. It goes without saying that you should also check the cooking time indicated on the instructions for the felt or the paint.
7. When the cooking time is over, open the oven door but don’t remove the dishes. Allow them to cool down gradually. And that’s it folks!
A little inspiration…